SENIOR RESEARCH SCIENTIST
- PhD (Immunomodulatory Peptides) CDRI, Lucknow, India, 1997
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi, India, 1997-2000
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Wayne State University, MI, USA, 2000-2002
- Drug Discovery Research (Metabolic diseases, Oncology and Autoimmune disorders, while working with leading Indian & multinational Pharma companies such as Torrent Research Centre, Ranbaxy Research Laboratories and Daiichi Sankyo Pharma), 2002-2017
- Clinical Research Course and Certification, Anovus Institute of Clinical Research & Punjab Technical University, India, 2014
With >22 years of post Ph.D. experience, having a blend of academic research, consisting of 6 years of post-doctoral research and ~16 years of drug discovery experience, I have worked on complex human diseases such as metabolic and inflammatory disorders as well as oncology, utilizing the small molecule and herbal formulations. During my drug discovery years, I led and managed the discovery portfolio of early discovery programs for their pre-clinical development while working with inter-disciplinary institutional and global teams in leading pharmaceutical companies. Currently, I am working on Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease(NAFLD) which has nearly 30 % global prevalence with no treatment options available to date. It is a slow-progressing disease with aberrant lipid metabolism, inflammation, oxidative stress, and fibrosis. I am currently pursuing the following studies for NAFLD and associated co-morbidities:
• To identify potential targeted and non-targeted approaches to manage NAFLD and associated co-morbidities and perform target validation studies.
• To perform pre-clinical assemmmet of small chemical entities as well as herbal formulations using cell-free and cell-based models, mimicking the liver heterogeneity. This also includes screening of compounds from available libraries using an HTS platform. Short-listed molecules as a result of this exercise are further evaluated for their pharmaco-kinetic analysis followed by screening in in vivo models of NAFLD.
• Identifying potential biomarkers to diagnose disease progression using animal models and their correlation with patient data.
• We also aim to validate the data obtained as a result of integrative multi-omics analysis for diagnostic/prognostic purposes and collaborate with teams to apply machine learning algorithms based on metabolomic signatures.
1. Tandon R, Soni A, Singh RK, Sodhi R, Seth MK, Sinha S, Sahdev S, Dhage G, Das B, Dastidar SG, Shirumalla RK, Yonesu K, Marumoto S, Nagayama T. Identification of novel Urotensin-II receptor antagonists with potent inhibition of U-II induced pressor response in mice. 2020. Euro J Pharmacol 886:173391.
2.Tandon R , Senthil V., Nithya D., Venkataramanan R., Pamidiboina V., Kumar A, Malik S, Chaira T, Diwan M, Gupta P, Venkataramanan R, Malik R, Das B, Dastidar SG, Cliffe IA; Ray A; Bhatnagar PK. RBx10080307, a dual EGFR/IGF-1R inhibitor for anticancer therapy(2013) Euro J Pharmacol; 711(1-3):19-26.
3. Singh RK, Tandon R, Dastidar SG, Ray A. A review on leukotrienes and their receptors with reference to asthma( 2013) J Asthma; 50(9):922-931.
4. Tandon R , Kapoor S, Vali S, Senthil V., Nithya D., Venkataramanan R, Sharma A, Talwadkar A, Ray A, Bhatnagar PK and Dastidar SG. Dual epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)/insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor (IGF-1R) inhibitor: A novel approach for overcoming resistance in anticancer treatment (2011) Euro J Pharmacol; 667(1-3):56-65.
5. Tiwari P, Saini S, Upmanyu S, Benjamin B, Tandon R, Saini KS and Sahdev S. Enhanced expression of recombinant proteins utilizing a modified baculovirus expression vector.(2010) Mol Biotechnology 46(1):80-9.
6. Tandon R, Singh MP, Haq W, Dixit M, Patnaik GK and Dhar MM (2010) Design and synthesis Novel tetrapeptides as potential ACE inhibitors.Cheminformatics; 28, 40.
7. Subhadra LB, Sundaresan S, Singaravelu A, Kadapakkam SN, Badri NR, Katiyar C, Kanaujia A, Duggar R, Singh Y, Konasubrahmanya S, Bansal V, Sarin S, Tandon R, Sharma S and Singh S. (2009) Cinnamic acid isolated from the bark of Cinnamomum cassia regulates glucose transport through activation of glucose transporter 4 on L6 myotubes in a PI3 Kinase independent fashion. J Diabetes; 1, 99-106.
8. Tandon R , Gupta A, Ray A (2013) Mechanism of action of antidiabetic property of cinnamic acid, a principal active ingredient from the bark of cinnamomum cassia. Int J Therap Appls; 9, 39-45
9. Zhang M, Deng Y, Tandon R, Bai C, Riedel H. ( 2008) Essential role of PSM/SH2-B variants in insulin receptor catalytic activation and the resulting cellular responses J Cell Biochem; 1;103(1):162-81.
10. Sarma PK, Tandon R, Gupta P, Dastidar SG, Ray A, Das B, Cliffe IA(2007) Progress in the development of small molecule inhibitors of insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor kinase. Exp Opin Ther Pat; 17(1) 25-35 (11)
11. Mittra S, Sangle G, Tandon R, Sharma S, Roy S, Khanna V, Gupta A, Sattigeri J, Sharma L, Khattar SK, Bora RS, Saini KS, Bansal VS (2007) Increase in weight induced by muraglitazar, a dual PPAR alpha/gamma agonist, in db/db mice: adipogenesis/or oedema? Br J Pharmacol ;150(4):480-7.
12. Deng Y, Bhattacharya S, Swamy OR, Tandon R, Wang Y, Janda R, Riedel H.(2003) Grb10 as a partner of PI 3-kinase in metabolic insulin action. J Biol Chem; 278(41):39311-22.
13. Singh SB, Tandon R** (**Co-first author), Krishnamurthy G, Vikram R, Sharma N, Basu SK and Mukhopadhyay A (2003) Rab5-mediated endosome-endosome fusion regulates hemoglobin endocytosis in Leishmania donovani. EMBO J; 22(21) :5712-22.
14. Narayan P, Pandey R, Yadav VS, Tandon R, Haq W, Dhar MM , Singh VK (2003). Inhibition of anti-CD3 and interleukin-2 stimulated T lymphocyte proliferation by peptidomimetic opioid compound. Immunopharmacol Immmunotox; 25(2):225-33.
15. Narayan P, Tandon R, Haq W, Dhar and MM Singh VK (2002) Inhibition of antigen specific lymphocyte proliferation and cytokine stimulation by peptidomimetic opioid compound. Int Immunopharmacol; 2 :751-757.
16. Narayan P, Singh VK, Agarwal SS, Tandon R, Haq W, Raghubir R and Dhar MM (2001) Immunomodulation by Opioid Peptidomimetic Compound. Neuroimmunomodulation; 9:134-40.
17. Sengupta S, Tripathi J, Tandon R, Roy RP, Basu SK and Mukhopadhyay A (1999) Hemoglobin endocytosis in Leishmania is mediated through a 46 kD protein located in flagellar pocket J Bio Chem; 274, 5, 2758-2765.
1. Team including Tandon R, Chauthaiwale V et al Heat shock protein inducers in myocardial and cerebral ischemia. (2004) Torrent pharmaceuticals ltd. Gujarat, India, Pct File No. Pct/in05/00112, Patent File No. 178/kol/2004
2. Team including Tandon R, Dhar MM et al ."An improved process for the preparation of polypeptide useful as Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone agonist having C-Terminal Proline ethylamide". Patent application No. 3069/DEL/97
- CSIR, New Delhi, India Award 1997
- International Travel award, National Research Center for Biotechnology, Braunschweig, Germany, 1999
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Wayne State University, MI, USA (National Institute of Health, Bethesda, USA Fellowship) 2000
- Individual Excellence Award, Ranbaxy Research Labs, 2006
- Assistant Director position, Daiichi Sankyo Pharma, 2010
- Star Team award, Daiichi Sankyo, 2012
- SMART Team award, Daiichi Sankyo, 2013
- Assistant Director and Group Head, Pharmacology, Daiichi Sankyo Pharma, 2014
- Served as an active reviewer of articles submitted to international peer reviewed journals such as PLOS One, Oncology Rev and Frontiers in Pharmacology
- Member, Editorial Board, Frontiers in Pharmacology
NCBI Nucleotide Accessions
1- Yousaf N, Deng Y, Tandon R, Cheng DW, Kang Y and Riedel H (2001) Mus musculus Pro-rich, PH and SH2 domain containing signaling mediator alpha mRNA, complete cds, alternatively spliced. NCBI GenBank accession number AF421138, GI: 16226080
2- Yousaf N, DengY, Tandon R, Cheng DW, KangY and Riedel H (2001) Mus musculus Pro-rich, PH and SH2 domain containing signaling mediator gamma mRNA, complete cds, alternatively spliced. NCBI GenBank accession number AF421139, GI 16226077
3- Yousaf N, Deng Y, Tandon R, Cheng DW, Kang Y and Riedel H(2001) Mus musculus PSM/SH2-B delta (Sh2B psm1) mRNA, complete cds. NCBI GenBank accession number AF380422, GI: 15787982