- Ph.D., National Institute of Cholera & Enteric Diseases, University of Calcutta.
- M.Sc., University of Calcutta.
- B.Sc., Presidency College, University of Calcutta.
Research Focus of the lab:
• Antimicrobial Resistance
• Life as a bacteria - active and dormant...and in a (bio)film
• Alternative diagnostic and therapeutic solutions for drug resistance microbial infections - MAbs, peptides, phages
Our present research interest is focused on anti-microbial resistance (AMR) by developing innovative diagnostics and drug delivery formulations for bacterial infections. We emphasize on a multi-pronged approach to tackle AMR with rapid, point of care diagnostics, improved formulations for controlling hospital acquired infections and developing alternetive to antibiotics. With this long-term goal, we delve into in depth mechanistic studies of viable-but-non-culturable (VBNC) state of bacteria and microbes in biofilms relevant to bacterial species critical for human health.
Scientist D, Centre for Biodesign and Diagnostics, THSTI, 2018-2019
Scientist C, Centre for Biodesign and Diagnostics, THSTI, 2011-2018
Senior Scientist in Biopharmaceutical R&D, Panacea Biotec Ltd., New Delhi (2007-2011)
Postdoctoral Fellow in Department of Medical Microbiology & Immunology, University of Alberta, Canada (2005-2007)
· A Combination Therapy Strategy for Treating Antibiotic Resistant Biofilm Infection Using Guanidinium Derivative and Nanoparticulate Ag(0) Derived Hybrid Gel Conjugate. Ananta Dey…..Susmita Chaudhuri*, Amitava Das*. Chemical Science, 2022, DOI: 10.1039/D2SC02980D. (*Joint Corresponding).
· Virulence gene mutations as a differentiator of clinical phenotypes: Insights from community-acquired uropathogenic Escherichia coli. Manisha Yadav,..Susmita Chaudhuri*, Sarita Mohapatra* (*Joint Corresponding). Microbiology. 2022.168:001161.
· Biofilm Inhibiting Nanocomposite Coatings on Surgical Sutures: Durability and Mechanistic Insights. R Subasri, … Susmita Chaudhuri#, Prashant Garg# (# Co-corresponding). Journal of Coatings Technology and Research. 2022. (In Press).
· Biofilm Inhibiting Nanocomposite Coatings - A promising alternative to combat surgical site infections. Ramay Patra, …. Susmita Chaudhuri#, Prashant Garg#, R Subasri (# Co-corresponding). J Coat Technol Res (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11998-022-00642-w
· Longitudinal serology in SARS-CoV-2 infected individuals in India – a prospective cohort study. Ramachandran Thiruvengadam,…..Susmita Chaudhuri….Shinjini Bhatnagar. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg., 105(1), 2021, pp. 66–72
· The potential impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on global antimicrobial and biocide resistance: an AMR Insights global Perspective. 2021. Shamsul Ansari,….Susmita Chaudhuri…..MBM van Dongen. JAC Antimicrob Resist. doi:10.1093/jacamr/dlab038
· Wuhan to World: The COVID-19 Pandemic. A Kumar,….Susmita Chaudhuri….N Kumar. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2021; 11: 596201.
· Comparative evaluation of SARS-CoV-2 IgG immunoassays in India. Susmita Chaudhuri et.al., J Clin Virol, 2020, 24;131:104609.
· Essential laboratory diagnostic at each level of health laboratory services in South East Asia region. Susmita Chaudhuri et. al., World Health Organization, 2020.
· Das B, Chaudhuri S*, Srivastava R, Nair GB, Ramamurthy T. Fostering Research into Antimicrobial Research In India. British Medical Journal. 2017. 358: j3535. (Co-corresponding)
· Kumar N, Gupta DG, Kumar S, Maurya P, Tiwari A, Mathew B, Banerjee S, Hadlar S, Pillai J, Bhatnagar S and Chaudhuri S. Exploring packaged microvesicle proteome composition of Chinese Hamster Ovary secretome. J Bioprocess Biotech. 2016. 6:274.
· Chaudhuri S, Maurya P, Kaur M, Tiwari A, Borth N, Bhatnagar S and Kumar N. Investigation of CHO Secretome: Potential Way to Improve Recombinant Protein Production from Bioprocess . 2015. J Bioprocess Biotech 2015, 5:7
· Sharma C, Sankhyan A, Sharma T, Khan N, Chaudhuri S, Kumar N, Bhatnagar S, Khanna N, Tiwari A. A repertoire of high-affinity monoclonal antibodies specific to S. typhi: as potential candidate for improved typhoid diagnostic. Immunol Res. 2015.
· S Chaudhuri, ... L J. Guilbert. Human cytomegalovirus interacts with TLR2 and CD14 on syncytiotrophoblasts to stimulate TNFα mRNA & apoptosis. Placenta. 2009. 30:994-1001.
· Chaudhuri S, ... Naik TN. Molecular epidemiology of HCV infection among acute and chronic liver disease patients in Kolkata, India. J Clin Virol. 2005 Jan;32(1):38-46.
· S. Das, V. Varghese, S. Chaudhuri, ...T. N. Naik.. Genetic variability of human rotavirus strains isolated from Eastern and Northern India. J Med Virol. 2004 Jan; 72 (1): 156-61.
· P. Barman, S. Ghosh, S. Das, V. Varghese, S. Chaudhuri, ...T.N. Naik. Sequencing and sequence analysis of VP7 and NSP5 genes reveal emergence of new genotype of bovine Group B rotaviruses in India. J Clin Microbiol. 2004 Jun; 42 (6): 2816-2818.
· Das S, Varghese V, Chaudhuri S, ... Naik TN. Emergence of Novel Human Group A Rotavirus G12 Strains in India. J Clin Microbiol 2003; 41: 2760-2762.
· Chowdhury A, Santra A, Chaudhuri S, ... Mazumdar DNG. Hepatitis C virus Infection in General Population: A Community Based Study in West Bengal, India. Hepatology 2003; 37: 802-809.
- Das S, Sen A, Uma G, Varghese V, Chaudhuri S, ....Naik TN. Genomic Diversity of Group A Rotavirus Strains Infecting Humans in Eastern India. J Clin 146-149.
- Method of improving stability of recombinant protein product in CHO batch culture by selective removal of metalloproteinase rich exosomal fraction and uses thereof (2015)
- Method of flow cytometry based rapid antimicrobial susceptibility testing and uses thereof (2017)
- Discontinuous lateral flow test strip and method (2018)
- Novel oxone-based sanitizer protect against toxic pathogens (2020)
- Novel Fenton reagent-based sanitizer protect against toxic pathogens (2020)
- Biofilm inhibiting sol-gel composition for coating on substrates and process of preparing the same (2021)
- Antimicrobial biofilm containing silver nanoparticles (2021)
1. Novel Eco-friendly Nano-composite Coatings for Prevention of Surgical Site Infections; DBT; 2019-2022
2. Emerging drug resistance of uropathogens in community acquired urinary tract infection and molecular insights into dynamics of resistance traits in Indian isolates- A pan-India multi-centric study; ICMR; 2019-2022
3. A study of Ashwagandha administration in participants vaccinated against COVID-19 on safety, immunogenicity, and protection: A randomized, double blind, placebo controlled, multi-centric clinical trial; AYUSH CCRAS; 2021-23
· Tie-BIRAC award for Women in Entrepreneurial Research, 2018.
· NIH-Fogarty fellowship on Indo-US Framework Program on Global Health Innovation, sponsored by NIH-Fogarty International Centre for Microfluidics and Imaging training at Tufts University, Boston, USA, 2017.
· Biotechnology Ignition Grant award for the development of ‘Rapid Point-of-care field deployable typhoid diagnostics’ by BIRAC, 2017.
· MFN Strategic Training Programme fellowship, Perinatal Research Centre, University of Alberta, Canada, 2006-2007.
· 'Best Poster Award'; Poster entitled 'Molecular Epidemiology of HCV Infection among Acute and Chronic Liver Disease Patients in Kolkata'; VI-Sir Dorabji Tata Symposium on Viral Hepatitis at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, on March 10-11, 2005.
· National Scholarship (1997-98) of the Gov. of India on the result of B.Sc. (Zoology Hons.) Examination of Calcutta University.
· 'Sarasibala Chaudhuri' scholarship in the year 1997 for ranking 1st Class 2nd in Calcutta University in B.Sc. (Zoology Hons.) Exam.
Co-Founder of Tritek Innovation Pvt. Ltd., based in THSTI Interim Incubation Centre, NCR Biotech Science Cluster, Faridabad.
MS.SONALI POREY KARMAKAR
MR.SUBHASH CHANDRA TANWAR