DR.ZAIGHAM ABBAS RIZVI
SENIOR RESEARCH SCIENTIST
- Senior Research Scientist, Centre for Immunobiology and immunotherapy
- Research Scientist, Infection and Immunology Center, THSTI
- Junior Research Scientist, Infection and Immunology Center, THSTI
- Post Doctoral fellow, THSTI
- PhD, School of Life Sciences, JNU
- MSc, Department of Biochemistry, AMU
Broad areas of Research:
1. Immunology of infectious disease.
3. Developmental immunology.
4. Immune correlates of early and late phase of Mtb infection
5. Inflammatory diseases
- Rizvi ZA*, Babele P, Madan U, Srikanth S, Tripathy MR, Goswami S, Mani S, Kumar S, Dikshit M, Awasthi A. 2023. Prophylactic intervention of Withania somnifera mitigates both mild and severe COVID-19 pulmonary pathology in hamster and hACE2 transgenic mice by inducing immune-suppressive environment.Frontiers in Immunology 14:2023 https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2023.1138215 (Impact factor: 8.78)(*co-corresponding author)
- Parray HA#, Narayanan N#, Garg S#, Rizvi ZA#, Shrivastava T, Kushwaha S, Janmejay S, Murugavelu PK, Anbalagan A, Mehdi F, Raj N, Singh S, Dandotiya J, Lukose A, Jamwal D, Kumar S, Chiranjivi A, Dhyani S, Mishra N, Jakhar K, Sonar S, Panchal AK, Tripathy MR, Ahamad S, Samal S, Mani S, Bhattacharyya S, Das S, Sinha S, Luthra K, Batra G, Sehgal D, Medigeshi G, Sharma C, Awasthi A, Garg PK, Nair DT, Kumar R.2022. A broadly neutralising monoclonal antibody overcomes the mutational landscape of emerging SARS-CoV2 variant of concerns. Plos Pathogen. 12;18(12):e1010994. doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1010994. eCollection 2022. (Impact factor: 7.46) (equal first author)
- Kumar CS, Singh B, Rizvi ZA, Parray HA, Verma JK, Ghosh S, Mukhopadhyay A, Awasthi A, Shrivastava T, Banerjee M. 2022. Virus-like particles of SARS-CoV-2 as virus surrogates: morphology, immunogenicity, and internalization in neuronal cells. ACS infectious diseases. 21; acsinfecdis.2c00217. DOI: 10.1021/acsinfecdis.2c00217 (Impact factor 5.52).
- Rizvi ZA#, Baballe P#, Srikanth S, Madan U, Tripathy MR, Goswami S, Mani S, Kumar S, Awasthi A, Dikshit M. 2022. Prophylactic treatment of Glycyrrhiza glabra mitigates COVID-19 pathology through inhibition of pro-inflammatory cytokines in hamster and NETosis. Frontiers in Immunology, 22. https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2022.945583 (Impact factor: 8.78)
- Khatri R, Parray HA, Agrahari AK, Rizvi ZA, Kaul R, Raj S, Asthana S, Mani S, Samal S, Awasthi A, Ahmed S. Designing and characterization of a SARS-CoV-2 immunogen with receptor binding motif grafted on a protein scaffold: An epitope-focused vaccine approach. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 1;209(Pt A):1359-1367. doi: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2022.04.148 (Impact factor 8.02)
- Hingankar N, Deshpande S, Das P, Rizvi ZA, Wibmer CK, Mashilo P, Ansari MY, Burns A, Barman S, Zhao F, Mukherjee S, Torres JL, Chattopadhyay S, Mehdi F, Sutar J, Rathore DK, Pargai K, Singh J, Sonar S, Jakhar K, Dandotiya J, Bhattacharya S, Mani S, Samal S, Singh S, Kshetrapal P, Thiruvengadam R, Batra G, Medigeshi G, Ward AB, Bhatnagar S, Awasthi A, Sok D, Bhattacharya J.2022. A combination of potently neutralizing monoclonal antibodies isolated from an Indian convalescent donor protects against the SARS-CoV-2 Delta variant. Plos Pathogen. 28;18(4):e1010465. doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1010465 (Impact factor: 7.46)
- Rizvi ZA*, Dalal R, Sadhu S, Binayke A, Dandotiya J, Kumar Y, Shrivastava T, Gupta SK, Agarwal S, Tripathy MR, Rathore DK, Yadav AK, Medigeshi GR, Pandey AK Samal S, Ashtana S, Awasthi A*. 2022. Golden Syrian hamster as a model to study cardiovascular complications associated with SARS-CoV-2 infection. eLife 11:11 e73522 DOI: 10.7554/eLife.73522. (Impact factor: 8.7)(*co-corresponding author) Research was highlighted by Nature-Lab animals.
- Rizvi ZA, Tripathy MR, Sharma N, Goswami S, Srikanth N, Sastry JLN, Mani S, Surjit M, Awasthi A, Dikshit M. 2021. Effect of prophylactic use of intra-nasal oil formulations in the hamster model of Covid- 19. Front Pharmacol 14;12:746729. doi: 10.3389/fphar.2021.746729(Impact factor: 5.98)
- Rizvi ZA, Dalal R, Sadhu S, Kumar Y, Kumar S, Gupta SK, Tripathy MR, Rathore DK, Awasthi A. 2021. High dietary salt mediates interplay between NK cells and gut microbiota to induce potent tumor immunity. Science Advances. 7 (37): eabg5016. DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.abg5016 (Impact factor: 14.8).Research was covered by various national and international science media.
- Roy S, Rizvi ZA, Clarke AJ, Macdonald F, Pandey A, Zaiss DMW, Simon AK, Awasthi A. 2021. EGFR-HIF1α signalling positively regulates the differentiation of IL-9 producing T helper cells. Nature Communication 12 (1), 3182 doi:10.1038/s41467-021-23042-x (Impact factor: 17.71)
- Samal S, Vishwakarma P, Yadav N, Rizvi ZA, Khan NA, Chiranjivi A, Mani S, Bansal M, Dwivedi P, Shrivastava T, Kumar R, Awasthi A, Ahmed S. 2021. SARS-CoV2 spike protein based novel epitopes induce potent immune responses in vivo and inhibit viral replication in vitro. Frontiers in Immunology 12:613045 DOI: 10.3389/fimmu.2021.613045 (Impact factor: 8.78)
- Shrivastava T, Singh B*, Rizvi ZA*, Verma R, Goswami S, Vishwakarma P, Jakhar K, Sonar S, Mani S, Bhattacharyya S, Awasthi A, Surjit M. 2021. Comparative immunomodulatory evaluation of the receptor binding domain of SARS-CoV2 spike protein: a potential vaccine candidate, imparts potent humoral and Th1 type of immune response in mouse model. Frontiers in Immunology 12:641447 DOI: 10.3389/fimmu.2021.641447 (Impact factor: 8.78) (*equal contribution)
- Sadhu S, Rizvi ZA, Pandey RP, Dalal R, Rathore DK, Kumar B, Pandey M, Kumar Y, Goel R, Maiti TK, Tiwari A, Pandey AK, Awasthi A. 2021. Gefitinib results in robust host-directed immunity against Salmonella infection through proteo-metabolomic reprogramming. Frontiers in Immunology 12:648710 doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2021.648710 (Impact factor: 8.78)
- Vishwakarma P, Khatri R, Siddiqui G, Yadav N, Rizvi ZA, Awasthi A, Samal S. 2020. Preclinical animal models for Covid-19 research - making a wise choice. ARC Journal of Immunology and Vaccines 5(1): 24-37 (Impact factor: 0.5)
- Samal S, Shrivastava T, Sonkusre P, Rizvi ZA, Kumar R, Ahmed S, Vishwakarma P, Yadav N, Bansal M, Chauhan K, Pokhrel S, Das S, Tambare P, Awasthi A. 2020. Tetramerizing tGCN4 domain facilitates production of Influenza A H1N1 M2e higher order soluble oligomers that show enhanced immunogenicity in vivo. Journal of Biological Chemistry 295(42):14352-14366 doi:10.1074/jbc.ra120.013233 (Impact factor: 5.48)
- Pal S, Medatwal N, Kumar S, Kar A, Komalia V, Yavvari PS, Mishra D, Rizvi ZA, Malakar D, Pillai M, Srivastava A, Sharma RD, Sengupta S, Dasgupta U, Awasthi A, Bajaj A. 2019. A localized chimeric hydrogel therapy combats tumor progression through alteration of sphingolipid metabolism. ACS Central Science 23;5(10):1648-1662 doi: 10.1021/acscentsci.9b00551 (Impact factor: 18.72)
- Suhail A, Rizvi ZA, Prabhakar M, Ali SA, Gaur P, Singh M, Ahuja V, Awasti A, Srikanth CV. 2019. DeSUMOylase SENP7 mediated epithelial signalling triggers intestinal inflammation via expansion of Gamma-delta T cell. Cell Reports. 10:29(11) 3522-3538e7. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2019.11.028.(Impact factor: 9.99)
- Roy S, Rizvi ZA, Awasthi A. 2019. Metabolic Checkpoints in Differentiation of Helper T Cells in Tissue Inflammation. Frontiers in Immunology. 14;9:3036. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2018.03036 (Impact factor: 8.78)
- Rizvi ZA, Puri N, Saxena RK. 2018. Evidence of CD1d pathway of lipid antigen presentation in mouse primary lung epithelial cells and its up-regulation upon Mycobacterium bovis BCG infection. PLoSOne. 31;13(12): e0210116. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0210116 (Impact factor: 3.75)
- Rizvi ZA, Puri N, Saxena RK. 2015. Lipid antigen presentation through CD1d pathway in mouse lung epithelial cells, macrophages and dendritic cells and its suppression by poly-dispersed single-walled carbon nanotubes. Toxicology in Vitro. 29, 1275-1282 doi: 10.1016/j.tiv.2014.10.022 (Impact factor: 3.5)
- Husain Q, Karim Z, and Rizvi ZA. 2010. Oxidative degradation and polymerization of methyl parathion catalyzed by Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum L.) seed peroxidase. AIChE – Environmental Progress and Sustainable energy. 30 (3), 392-398 https://doi.org/10.1002/ep.10496 (Impact factor: 2.82)
Will be soon updated
- Indian Patent Application No. 202111059095,
- Indian Patent Application No. 201811032275
- PCT application with IA number PCT/IN2019/050718 and reference number PCT0009
1. SARS-CoV-2 animal challenge model for pre-clinical and translational researchBT/TEMP14084/CS/05/21, BIRAC
2. Understanding the immunopathological changes associated with SARS-CoV2 infection in small animal model, Intramural
3. SARS-CoV2 anti-viral activity testing platform to support the preclinical development of new chemical entities, and natural productsfrom Academia, Start-ups and Pharma companies BT/TEMP12190/CTH/01/20, BIRAC
2023: ESCMID-2023 Young scientist Travel award.
2022: Best Oral presentation awardat Immunocon 2022.
2021: MK Bhan award for the most impactful research collaboration THSTI.
2020: Young Scientists award at 6th Indian International Science Festival.
2019: Best poster awardat IUIS-IIS-FIMSA international conference.
2019: Travel Grant by ICMR to attend IUIS 2019 (17th International Congress of Immunology) held at Beijing (China).
2017: National-post doctoral fellowship (N-PDF) by SERB (DST)
2015: Travel Grant by ICMR to attend Immunology 2015 (AAI) held at New Orleans (USA).
2014: Travel Grant by DBT to attend Eurotox 2014 (50th Congress of the European Societies of Toxicology) held at Edinburgh (Scotland, UK).
2014: Runner up G P Talwar young scientist award by Indian Immunology Society, at 41st Immunocon, Madurai.
2012: 1st prize for Oral presentation at 10th BIOSPARKS, JNU, New Delhi.
2011: 2nd prizefor poster presentation at 9th BIOSPARKS, JNU, New Delhi.
2009: Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) by ICMR.
2009: Qualified GATE (IIT/IISc) Exam (Life Science) with All India Rank 369
2009: LS-NET of CSIR Examination with All India Rank 16.
2009: Awarded ‘SIR SYED EXCELLENCE IN SCIENCE AWARD’, by SSESA and Aligarh Alumni Association of New England (AAANE).
2007: Awarded “Prof. Afzal Muneer Memorial Merit Scholarship”, by Dept of Biochem, AMU.
2007: Summer research fellowship by Indian Academy of Sciences (IAS), National Academy of Sciences (NASI) and Indian National Science Academy (INSA) at Indian institute of Sciences (IISc),Bangalore.
2007: 1st prize for Science Model presentation at National Science Day, AMU.
2004: 1st prizefor Chart presentation at National Academy of Science India (NASI) at school level, BHS, Allahabad.
- International Media Coverage
1. Mr. Rehan Haider Zaidi, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli (M.Sc. dissertation-completed)
2. Mr. Vishnu Soman, IISER-Mohali (BS-MS. disseration-completed)
3. Ms. Yvonne Guithuiliu Pamei, Amity Univeristy, Noida (MSc dissertation-ongoing)
4. Ms. Shweta Sharma, Chandigarh Univeristy, Chandigarh (M.Sc. disseration-ongoing)