- Ph.D., Gulbarga University, Kalaburagi, Karnataka
- M.Phil.,(Medical Microbiology) Gulbarga University, Kalaburagi
- M.Sc.,(Microbiology) Gulbarga University, Kalaburagi
Principal Scientist I (Since 01.08.2022)
Scientific Project Manager (18.06.2021- 31.07.2022)
Understanding evolution of HIV-1 clade C and immune responses in Indian HIV-1 infected donors. Discovery and Characterization of HIV-1 and SARS-CoV-2 antibodies.
Research Scientist (01.08.2019- 17.06.2021) under TRP Project (Infection and Immunology- HVTR lab), THSTI.
Generation and characterization of HIV-1 clade C functional envelopes from broadly neutralizing plasma from Indian Donors. Discovery of Human Monoclonal Antibodies from HIV-1 infected elite neutralizers and SARS CoV-2 Convalescent Indian donors.
Scientist (14.07.2016 -31.07.2019): Organization: THSTI, Faridabad
Generation and characterization of HIV-1 clade C functional envelopes from broadly neutralizing plasma from Indian Donors. Discovery of Human Monoclonal Antibodies from HIV infected Indian elite neutralizers.
2015 – July 2016: Postdoctoral Fellow Organization: THSTI, Faridabad
“Characterization of HIV-1 Primary envelopes obtained from broadly cross neutralizing plasma for their degree of cleavage, sensitivity to neutralizing and non-neutralizing antibodies and immunogenicity" funded by Dept of Biotechnology, Govt. of India
PI: Dr. Jayanta Bhattacharya
2013-2014: Research Associate Organization: THSTI, Faridabad
“Identification of neutralizing antibody epitopes from Indian and South African HIV-1 subtype C for the vaccine design” funded by the Dept of Science & Tehnology, Govt.of India
PI: Dr. Jayanta Bhattacharya / Prof Lynn Morris
2012-2013: Research Associate Organization: National AIDS Research Institute, Pune
“Role of miRNAs in HIV/AIDS pathogenesis”funded by the Deptof Biotechnology, Govt of India.
PI: Dr. Raman. Gangakhedkar . NARI, Pune/ Dr Shahid Jameel, ICGEB, New Delhi
2008-2012: Research Associate Organization: National AIDS Research Institute, Pune
“Neuro AIDS in India”NIH funded Indo-US collaborative Research Project.
PI: Dr. S. Mehendale NARI, Pune / Dr. T Marcotte, UCSD, San Diego
- Clayton Fernando Rencilin, Mohammad Yousuf Ansari, Arnab Chatterjee, Suprit Deshpande, Sohini Mukherjee, Randhir Singh, Sowrabha Jayatheertha, Poorvi M. Reddy, Payel Das, Nitin Hingankar, Deepak Rathore, Raghavan Varadarajan, Jayanta Bhattacharya*, Somnath Dutta* (2022). Structural insights and conformational states of two potent and broadly neutralizing human monoclonal antibodies bound to SARS-CoV-2 trimeric spike protein. bioRxiv 2022.12.03.518949; doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2022.12.03.518949.
- Suprit Deshpande, Mohammed Yousuf Ansari, Jyoti Sutar, Payel Das, Nitin Hingankar, Sohini Mukherjee, Priyanka Jayal, Savita Singh, Anbalagan Anantharaj, Janmejay Singh, Souvick Chattopadhyay, Sreevatsan Raghavan, Mudita Gosain, Supriya Chauhan, Shweta Shrivas, Chaman Prasad, Sangeeta Chauhan, Neha Sharma, Pradipta Jana, Ramachandran Thiruvengadam, Pallavi Kshetrapal, Nitya Wadhwa, Bhabatosh Das, Gaurav Batra, Guruprasad Medigeshi, Devin Sok, Shinjini Bhatnagar, Pramod Kumar Garg, Jayanta Bhattacharya* (2023). Ancestral SARS-CoV-2 driven antibody repertoire diversity in an unvaccinated individual correlates with expanded neutralization breadth. Microbiology Spectrum PMID: 36946746 DOI: 10.1128/spectrum.04332-22
- Gaurav Batra, Deepika Rathna Murugesan, Souvick Chattopadhyay, Farha Mehdi, Ayushi, Mudita Gosain, Savita Singh, Soon Jyoti Das, Suprit Deshpande, Jayanta Bhattacharya, Anil K, Pandey, Sankalp Jha, Shweta Goswami, Asim Das, Tanima Dwivedi, Nandini Sharma, Suresh Kumar, Pragya Sharma, Seema Kapoor, Pallavi Kshetrapal, Nitya Wadhwa, Ramachandran Thiruvengadam, Rakesh Kumar, Ritu Gupta, Pramod Kumar Garg*, Shinjini Bhatnagar *, for DBT Consortium for COVID-19 Research (2022). Long-term Durable Humoral Immune Response to Heterologous Antigenic Exposure Post six months by Natural SARS-CoV-2 Infection and Vaccination. medRxiv. doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2022.02.23.22271381
- Nitin Hingankar*, Suprit Deshpande*, Payel Das, Zaigham Abbas Rizvi, Alison Burns, Shawn Barman, Fangzhu Zhao, Mohammed Yousuf Ansari, Sohini Mukherjee, Jonathan L. Torres, Souvick Chattopadhyay, Farha Mehdi, Jyoti Sutar, Deepak Kumar Rathore, Kamal Pargai, Janmejay Singh, Sudipta Sonar, Kamini Jakhar, Sankar Bhattacharyya, Shailendra Mani, Savita Singh, Jyotsna Dandotiya, Pallavi Kshetrapal, Ramachandran Thiruvengadam, Gaurav Batra, Guruprasad R Medigeshi, Andrew Ward, Shinjini Bhatnagar, Amit Awasthi, Devin Sok, Jayanta Bhattacharya* (2022). Potently neutralizing monoclonal antibodies isolated from an Indian convalescent donor protects against SARS-CoV-2 Delta. PLOS Pathogens Apr 28;18(4):e1010465(Joint first author*)
- Ramachandran Thiruvengadam, Amit Awasthi, Guruprasad Medigeshi, Sankar Bhattacharya, Shailendra Mani, Sridhar Sivasubbu, Tripti Shrivastava, Sweety Samal, Deepika Rathna Murugesan , Bapu Koundinya Desiraju, Pallavi Kshetrapal, Rajesh Pandey, Vinod Scaria , Praveen Kumar Malik , Juhi Taneja, Akshay Binayke, Tarini Vohra, Aymaan Zaheer, Deepak Rathore, Naseem Ahmad Khan, Heena Shaman, Shubbir Ahmed, Rajesh Kumar, Suprit Deshpande, Chandru Subramani, Nitya Wadhwa, Nimesh Gupta, Anil K Pandey, Jayanta Bhattacharya, Anurag Agrawal, Sudhanshu Vrati, Shinjini Bhatnagar, Pramod Kumar Garg. Cellular Immune Responses are Preserved and may Contribute to ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 Vaccine Effectiveness Against Infection due to SARS-CoV-2 B·1·617·2 Delta Variant Despite Reduced Virus Neutralisation, The Lancet Infectious Diseases, 2021.https://doi. org/10.1016/S1473-3099(21)00680-0
- Jyoti Sutar, Suprit Deshpande, Ranajoy Mullick, Nitin Hingankar , Vainav Patel , Jayanta Bhattacharya. Geospatial HIV-1 subtype C gp120 sequence diversity and its predicated impact on broadly neutralizing antibody sensitivity, PLoS One. 2021 16(5):e0251969 https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/authors?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0251969
- Ranajoy Mullick§ , Jyoti Sutar§, Nitin Hingankar, Suprit Deshpande, Madhuri Thakar, Seema Sahay, Rajesh P. Ringe, Sampurna Mukhopadhyay, Ajit Patil, Shubhangi Bichare, Kailapuri G Murugavel, Aylur k Srikrishnan, Rajat Goyal, Devin Sok, Jayanta Bhattacharya. Neutralization diversity of HIV-1 Indian subtype C envelopes obtained from cross sectional and followed up individuals against broadly neutralizing monoclonal antibodies having distinct gp120 specificities. Retrovirology, 2021
- Suprit Deshpande, Ranajoy Mullick, Jyoti Sutar, Shilpa Patil, K G Murugavel, A K Srikrishnan, Rajat Goyal and Jayanta Bhattacharya. Subtle variations in HIV-1 subtype C env sequence featuresobtained from a slow progressing Indian donor and their association. Suppl. Journal of the International AIDS Society. 2021, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/jia2.25659 Page No 194
- Rajesh Kumar*, Suprit Deshpande*, Leigh M. Sewall, Gabriel Ozorowski, Christopher A. Cottrell, Wen-Hsin Lee, Lauren G. Holden, Sara T. Richey, Antra Singh Chandrawacar, Kanika Dhiman , Ashish, Vivek Kumar, Shubbir Ahmed , Nitin Hingankar , Naresh Kumar , Kailapuri G. Murugavel , Aylur K. Srikrishnan , Devin SokID, Andrew B. Ward, Jayanta Bhattacharya; Elicitation of potent serum neutralizing antibody responses in rabbits by immunization with an HIV-1 clade C trimeric Env derived from an Indian elite neutralizer. Plos Pathogens, 2021 (* Co first author)
- Sutar, J., Padwal., V., Sonawani, A., Nagar, V., Patil, P, Kulkarni, B., Hingankar, N., Deshpande, S., Idicula-Thomas, S., Jagtap, J., Bhattacharya, J., Bandivdekar, A., Patel, V. Effect of diversity in gp41 membrane proximal external region of primary HIV-1 Indian subtype C sequences on interaction with broadly neutralizing antibodies 4E10 and 10E8. Virus Res. 2019 (in press).
- Rajesh Kumar,Huma Qureshi, Suprit Deshpande, Jayanta Bhattacharya. Broadly neutralizing antibodies in HIV-1 treatment and prevention. Therapeutic Advances in Vaccines and Immunotherapy 2018, Vol. 6(4) 61–68
- Saikat Boliar, Shilpa Patil, Brihaspati N Shukla, Ali Ghobbeh, Suprit Deshpande, Weizao Chen, Javier Guenaga, Dimiter S Dimitrov, Richard T Wyatt, Bimal K Chakrabarti Ligand accessibility to the HIV-1 Env co-receptor binding site can occur prior to CD4 engagement and isindependent of viral tier category. Virology June 2018,519: 99-105.
- Nandagopal Paneerselvam; Jayanta Bhattacharya; Aylur k Srikrishnan; Rajat Goyal; Swathirajan Chinnambedu Ravichandran; Shilpa Patil; Shanmugam Saravanan; Suprit Deshpande; Vignesh Ramachandran; Sunil Suhas Solomon; Nikhil Singla; Joyeeta Mukherjee; Murugavel G Kailapuri,. (2018). Broad Neutralization Response in a Subset of HIV-1 Subtype C infected Viremic Non-Progressors from Southern India. J Gen. Virol. 1.99(3), 379-392
- Kumar, R., Ozorowski, G., Kumar, V., Holden, L., Shrivastava, T., Patil, S., Deshpande, S., Ward, A.B., Bhattacharya.J. (2017). Characterization of a stable HIV-1 B/C recombinant, soluble and trimeric envelope glycoprotein (Env) highly resistant to CD4-induced conformational changes. Journal of Biological Chemistry.Jul 25. pii: jbc.M117.803056. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M117.803056
- Despande, S, Shilpa Patil, Rajesh Kumar, Tripti Shrivastava, Aylur K. Srikrishnan, Kailapuri G. Murugavel, Wayne C. Koff, Bimal K. Chakrabarti, Jayanta Bhattacharya. (2016). Association of mutations in V3/C3 domain with enhanced sensitivity of HIV-1 clade C primary envelopes to autologous broadly neutralizing plasma antibodies. Retrovirology 13: 41
- Despande, S., Patil, S., Kumar, R., Hermanus, T., Murugavel, K.G., Solomon, S., Morris, L., Bhattacharya, J.(2016) HIV-1 clade C escapes broadly neutralizing autologous antibodies with N332 glycan specificity by distinct mechanisms. Retrovirology30;13(1):60
- Patil, S*., Kumar, R*., Deshpande, S*., Samal, S., Shrivastava, T., Boliar, S., Bansal, M., Chaudhary, N.K., Srikrishnan, A.K., Murugavel, K.G., Solomon, S., Simek, M., Koff, W.C., Goyal, R., Chakrabarti, B.K., Bhattacharya, J.(2016). Conformational Epitope-Specific Broadly Neutralizing Plasma Antibodies Obtained from an HIV-1 Clade C Infected Elite Neutralizer Mediate Autologous Virus Escape through Novel Mutations in V1 Loop. Journal of Virology 90 (7):3446-3457. (* Co first author )
- Tilghman MW , Bhattacharya J., Deshpande S, Ghate M, Espitia S, Grant I, Marcotte TD, Smith D, Mehendale S. (2014). Genetic attributes of blood-derived subtype-C HIV-1 tat and env in India and neurocognitive function. J Med Virol. 86(1): 88-96
1. HIV-1 CLADE C ENVELOPE GLYCOPROTEINS: US provisional Patent application 62/189,418 filed on 7th July 2015
United States Patent Application
Inventors: Jayanta Bhattacharya, Suprit Deshpande, Shilpa Patil, Rajesh Kumar, Bimal K. Chakrabarti
2. ISOLATED NUCLEOTIDE SEQUENCE USEFUL FOR THE PREVENTION OF HIV-1 INFECTION
India # 201611004727 (Indian Provisional Patent) Filed: February 10, 2016
Inventors: Jayanta Bhattacharya, Suprit Deshpande, Shilpa Patil, Rajesh Kumar, Bimal K. Chakrabarti.
3. Provisional Patent Application Filed by THSTI
Partners: THSTI, IAVI, YRGCARE
Name of the Invention: Engineered HIV-1 envelope immunogen
Application number: 201911036660 Filing date: 12/09/2019
Inventors: J. Bhattacharya, R. Kumar , S. Deshpande , V. Kumar, K.G Murugavel
4.POTENTLY NEUTRALIZING NOVEL HUMAN MONOCLONAL ANTIBODIES TO SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19)
Indian Patent Application No: 202111038519; Ref: IP0636 Filing date: August 25, 2021
Inventors: Jayanta Bhattacharya, Nitin Hingankar, Payel Das, Suprit Deshpande, Pallavi Kshetrapal, Ramachandran Thiruvengadam, Amit Awasthi, Devin Sok
- Department of Biotechnology & Department of Science & Technology (under Indo-South Africa joint proposal).
Isolation and Characterization of Monoclonal Antibodies from HIV-1 Subtype C Infected Individuals
Role: Co- Investigator Awarded Year: December 2017 Awarded Amount: INR 2,04,64,636.
2. Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB). Department of Science & Technology,
Identification, characterization and optimization of monoclonal antibodies that broadly neutralize entry of HIV-1 subtype C predominantly circulating in India.
Role: Co-Principal Investigator Awarded Year: 2019 Funding period: 2020-2023; Funding Amount: INR 94,00,000
- MVP 2018 Award from IAVI,USA for “Excellent and outstanding leadership efforts towards successfully establishing the B cell sorting and bnAb isolation platform” at the HVTR lab in THSTI by closely working with Neutralizing Antibody Centre at The Scripps Research Institute, San Diego, CA, USA
- 2016 Full scholaship award for attending HIV R4P2016, Chicago, USA
- JRF & SRF award from Gulbarga University, Kalaburgi as a Meritorious Research fellow.