- B. Sc., University of Calcutta, India
- M. Sc., University of Calcutta, India
- M.S., Albert Einstein College of Medicine, USA
- Ph.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine, USA
- Research Interests
- Developing Dengue platform technologies to support prophylactic and therapeutic strategies.
- Chikungunya vaccine immunogen development.
- HIV-1 vaccine immunogen development (On hold).
- Junior Research Fellowship by the University Grants Commission (Government of India) in 1993.
- Graduate Research Assistantship by Albert Einstein College of Medicine, USA in 1994.
- SRA (Scientist’s pool scheme) Fellowship by the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, India in 2009.
- HIVR4P Meeting Travel Scholarship in 2016
@ Corresponding Author
31) Das S@, Parray HA, Chiranjivi AK, Kumar P, Goswami A, Bansal M, Rathore DK, Kumar R, Samal S
Kennedy epitope (KE)-dependent retrograde transport of efficiently cleaved HIV-1 envelopes (Envs) and its effect on Env cell surface expression and viral particle formation.
The Protein Journal 2023
30) Dadwal A*, Das S*,@ (*Co-First Author)
Architecture, domain organization and functional signatures of trypanosomatid keIF4A1s and Plasmodium peIF4A1s suggest conserved functions.
Journal of Biosciences 2023
29) Parray HA, Narayan N, Garg S, Rizvi ZA, Shrivastava T, Kushwaha S, Singh J, Murugavelu P, Anbalagan A, Mehdi F, Raj N, Singh S, Dandotiya J, Lukose A, Jamwal D,
Kumar S, Chiranjivi A, Dhyani S, Mishra N, Kumar S, Jakhar K, Sonar S, Panchal AK, Tripathy MR, Chowdhury SR, Ahmed S, Samal S, Mani S, Bhattacharyya S, Das S,
Sinha S, Luhtra K, Batra G, Sehgal D, Medigeshi GR, Sharma C, Awasthi A, Garg PK, Nair DT, Kumar R
A broadly neutralizing monoclonal antibody overcomes the mutational landscape of emerging SARS-Cov2 variants of concern.
PLOS Pathogens 2022; 18(12):e1010994.
28) Chiranjivi AK, Kumar D, Kumar R, Parray HA, Ahmed S, Kumar CS, Shrivastava T, Banerjee M, Prasad BVV, Das S@
Generation of soluble, cleaved, well-ordered, native-like dimers of Dengue virus 4 envelope protein ectodomain (sE) suitable for vaccine immunogen design.
International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 2022 217:19-26.
27) Das S@
Analysis of domain organization and functional signatures of trypanosomatid keIF4Gs.
Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 2022, 477(10):2415-2431.
26) Perween R, Kumar P, Srivastava T, Parray HA, Singh V, Singh S, Chiranjivi A, Jakhar K, Sonar S, Tiwari M, Kumar R, Panchal AK, Sharma C, Rathore DK, Ahmed S, Samal
S, Mani S, Bhattacharyya S, Das S, Luthra K, Kumar R
The SARS CoV-2 spike directed non-neutralizing polyclonal antibodies cross-react with Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV-1) gp41.
International Immunopharmacology 2021 101(Pt B):108187.
25) Kumar R@, Ahmed S, Parray HA,Das S@ (@Co-corresponding authors)
Chikungunya and arthritis: An overview. Review
Travel Medicine and Infectious Disease 2021 44:102168.
24) Kumar P, Perween R, Shrivastava T, Singh V, Parray HA, Singh S, Chiranjivi A, Thiruvengadam R, Singh S, Yadav N, Jakhar K, Sonar S, Mani S, Bhattacharyya S, Sharma
C, Vishwakarma P, Khatri R, Panchal AK, Das S, Ahmed S, Samal S, Kshetrapal P, Bhatnagar S, Luthra K, Kumar R
Non-neutralizing SARS CoV-2 directed polyclonal antibodies demonstrate cross-reactivity with the HA glycans of influenza virus.
International Immunopharmacology 2021 99:108020.
23) Das S@
Taking a re-look at cap-binding signatures of the mRNA cap-binding protein eIF4E orthologues in trypanosomatids.
Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 2021 Review 476(2):1037-1049.
22) Das S@, Kumar R, Ahmed S, Parray HA,Samal S
Efficiently cleaved HIV-1 envelopes: Can they be important for vaccine immunogen design?
Therapeutic Advances in Vaccines and Immunotherapy 2020; 8: 1-17. Review
21) Ahmed S, Shrivastava T, Kumar R, Kumar M, Banerjee M, Kumar N, Bansal M,Das S, Samal S
Design and characterization of a germ-line targeting soluble, native-like, trimeric HIV-1 Env lacking key glycans from the V1V2 loop.
Biochimica et Biophysica Acta – General Subjects 2020; 1865(1): 129733.
20) Samal S, Srivastava T,Sonkusre P, Rizvi ZA, Kumar R, Ahmed S, Viswakarma P, Yadav N, Bansal M, Chauhan K, Pokhrel S, Das S, Tambare P, Awasthi A
Tetramerizing tGCN4 Domain Facilitates Production of Influenza A H1N1 M2e Higher Order Soluble Oligomers that Show Enhanced Immunogenicity In vivo.
J Biol Chem 2020, 295(42): 14352-14366.
19) Parray HA, Chiranjivi AK, Asthana S, Yadav N, Srivastava T, Mani S, Sharma C, Viswakarma P, Das S, Pindari K, Sinha S, Samal S, Ahmed S, Kumar R
Identification of an anti-SARS-CoV-2 receptor binding domain (RBD) directed human monoclonal antibody from a naïve semi-synthetic library.
J Biol Chem2020; 95(36):12814-12821.
18) Samal S, Bansal M, Das S@
Method to identify efficiently cleaved, membrane-bound, functional HIV-1 (Human Immunodeficiency Virus-1) envelopes.
MethodsX (Elsevier) 2019; 6:837-849.
17) Das S@, Bansal M, Bhattacharya J
Characterization of the membrane-bound form of the chimeric, B/C recombinant HIV-1 Env, LT5.J4b12C.
J Gen Virol 2018; 99 (10): 1438-1443.
16) Samal S*, Das S*, Boliar S, Qureshi H, Shrivastava T, Kumar N, Goswami S, Bansal M, Chakrabarti BK (*Co-First Author)
Cell surface ectodomain integrity of a subset of functional HIV-1 envelopes is dependent on a conserved hydrophilic domain containing region in their C-
Retrovirology 2018; 15:50.
15) Das S, Boliar S, Samal S, Ahmed S, Shrivastava T, Shukla BN, Goswami S, Bansal M, Chakrabarti BK
Identification and characterization of a naturally occurring, efficiently cleaved, membrane-bound, clade A HIV-1 Env, suitable for immunogen design, with
properties comparable to membrane-bound BG505.
Virology 2017; 510:22-28.
14) Das S, Boliar S, Mitra N, Samal S, Bansal M, Koff WC, Chakrabarti BK
Membrane bound modified form of clade B Env, JRCSF is suitable for immunogen design as it is efficiently cleaved and displays all the broadly
neutralizing epitopes including V2 and C2 domain-dependent conformational epitopes.
Retrovirology 2016; 13:81.
13) Boliar S*, Das S*, Bansal M, Shukla BN, Patil S, Shrivastava T, Samal S, Goswami S, King CR, Bhattacharya J, Chakrabarti BK (*Co-First Author)
An efficiently cleaved HIV-1 clade C Env selectively binds to neutralizing antibodies.
PLOS One 2015; 10(3): e0122443.
12) Das S@
Integrase interactor 1 in health and disease.
Current Protein and Peptide Science 2015; 16(6):478-490. Review
11) Das S@, Banerjee B, Hossain M, Thangamuniyandi M, Dasgupta S, Chongdar N, Kumar GS, Basu G
Characterization of DNA binding property of the HIV-1 host factor and tumor suppressor protein Integrase Interactor 1 (INI1/hSNF5).
PLOS One 2013; 8(7): e66581.
10) Biswas A, Mukherjee S, Das S, Shields D, Chow CW, Maitra U.
Opposing action of casein kinase 1 and calcineurin in nucleo-cytoplasmic shuttling of mammalian translation initiation factor eIF6.
J Biol Chem 2011; 286(4):3129-3138.
9) Das S, Cano J, Kalpana GV.
Multimerization and DNA binding properties of INI1/hSNF5 and its functional significance.
J Biol Chem 2009; 284(30):19903-19914.
8) Sorin M*, Cano J*, Das S, Mathew S, Wu X, Davies KP, Shi X, Cheng GS, Ott D, Kalpana GV.(*Equal Contribution)
Recruitment of a SAP18-HDAC1 complex into HIV-1 virions and its requirement for viral replication.
PLOS Pathogens 2009; 5(6) e1000463.
7) Das S, Kalpana GV.
Reverse Two-hybrid Screening to Analyze Protein-Protein Interaction of HIV-1 Viral and Cellular Proteins.
Methods in Molecular Biology 2009; 485: 271-293.
6) Foletta VC, Lim MA, Soosairaiah J, Kelly AP, Stanley EG, Shannon M, He W, Das S, Massague J, Bernard O.
Direct signaling by the BMP type II receptor via the cytoskeletal regulator LIMK1.
J Cell Biol 2003; 162(6):1089-1098.
5) Das S, Maitra U.
Functional significance and mechanism of eIF5-promoted GTP hydrolysis in eukaryotic translation initiation.
Prog Nucleic Acid Res Mol Biol 2001; 70:207-231. Review
4) Das S, Ghosh R, Maitra U.
Eukaryotic translation initiation factor 5 functions as a GTPase-activating protein.
J Biol Chem 2001; 276(9):6720-6726.
3) Das S, Maitra U.
Mutational analysis of mammalian translation initiation factor 5 (eIF5): role of interaction between the beta subunit of eIF2 and eIF5 in eIF5 function in vitro
and in vivo.
Mol Cell Biol 2000; 20(11):3942-3950.
2) Maiti T*, Das S*, Maitra U. (*Co-First Author)
Isolation and functional characterization of a temperature-sensitive mutant of the Yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae in translation initiation factor eIF5: an eIF5-
dependent cell-free translation system.
Gene 2000; 244(1-2):109-118.
1) Das S, Maiti T, Das K, Maitra U.
Specific interaction of eukaryotic translation initiation factor 5 (eIF5) with the beta-subunit of eIF2.
J Biol Chem 1997; 272(50):31712-31718.
@ Corresponding Author
1) Recombinant construct, immunogenic composition against dengue virus and
Das S,Chiranjivi AK, Kumar CS, Parray HA, Ahmed S, Shrivastava T, Kumar R,
(Indian Patent Filing No. 202111036849; 13/08/2022)
2) Native trimeric Env immunogen design
Chakrabarti BK, Boliar S, Das S, Shrivastava T, King RC, Bhattacharya J, Samal S
(US Patent: WO/2016/065252)
- Translational Research Consortium for Establishing Platform Technologies to Support Prophylactic and Therapeutic Strategies for Dengue - Discovery to Proof-of-Concept (NBM-BIRAC, 2019-2023). Co-investigator
- A next generation stabilized chikungunya virus (CHIKV) envelope-based soluble immunogen: Proof-of-concept (THSTI Intramural, 2021-2023). PI
Generation of Monoclonal antibodies against human Pancreatic Elastase-1 and the development of ELISA to detect pancreatic exocrine insufficiency (THSTI Intramural, 2022-2023). Co-PI
Journal Advisory Board
Infectious Diseases and Therapy (2022- )
Plos Neg Trop Dis (2022- )
PeerJ (2022- )
Infectious Diseases and Therapy (2021- )
Medicinal Chemistry (2020- )
Anica Dadwal (Research Associate), Ph.D University of Delhi
Prince Kumar (Senior Technical Officer), Ph.D DRDE, Gwalior
Abhisek Goswami (Project Associate I), M.Tech Apeejay Stya University
Former Group Members
Adarsh Chiranjivi (Research Associate), Ph.D IIT, Guwahati
(Currently at University of Notre-Dame, USA)
Gaurav Kumar Singh (2020), M.Sc. Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi
Kiran Sharma (2021), M.Sc Bansthali Vidyapith, Rajasthan
Abhay Deshmukh (2022), Yenepoya Deemed To Be University, Mangalore