Monitored and managed by the academic committee of THSTI
The following document outlines the structure of the Short-term Training Program (STTP) for external students seeking to complete their Bachelor's or Master's thesis or dissertation at a research laboratory at THSTI. Institutional guidelines for the implementation of this program are listed below.
- The program for Master's students will offer in-house training for a period of not less than four months and up to six months
- Master's or bachelor's students who have fellowship from a government funding body or academic society may be considered for shorter duration training of not less than 8 weeks to six months.
- Bachelor's students can join for in-house training for a period of not less than two months and up to six months.
- Students may join the Institute at any time after acceptance into the program as per the mutual agreement with the supervisor at THSTI and obtaining permission from their degree-granting institution.
- However, a minimum work period of 4 months in the host lab at THSTI will be mandatory for the student to qualify for certification of the project or thesis by THSTI towards the completion of the degree. No extension will be allowed beyond the duration of the academic degree program of the student.
- The student must be from any UGC-recognized publicly-funded university/college or from an UGC-recognized private University/College/Institute.
- Students should have consistently scored first-class marks from Class 12th (Board) onwards.
- The program will accept qualified Master's (/life sciences, biotechnology, veterinary, pharmacy and engineering) level students seeking to fulfill their degree requirement of completing their final year research project, thesis or dissertation.
- Bachelor's students (engineering, medical, pharmacy, veterinary, agriculture and life sciences) may be eligible if they have similar degree requirements and if there are supervisors willing to host them at the Institute.
- Applications will be accepted throughout the year.
- Students are required to apply directly (via email) to a supervisor of their interest at THSTI with an updated resume.
- Students shall submit a recommendation letter from Head of the Department/Head of the Institute from their college/university/institute indicating the requirement of training as necessary for completion of degree.
- Masters students from UGC-recognized publicly-funded university/college enrolled in this program will be required to pay a flat fee of INR 10,000/- for the training period for unreserved category/OBC candidates. Trainees from SC/ST categories shall pay 40% of the fees.
- Bachelor's students from UGC-recognized publicly-funded university/college enrolled in this program will be required to pay a flat fee of INR 5,000/- for the training period for unreserved category/OBC candidates. Trainees from SC/ST categories shall pay 40% of the fees.
- Masters students from UGC-recognized private university/college enrolled in this program will be required to pay fee of INR 5,000/- per month for the training period for unreserved category/OBC candidates. Trainees from SC/ST categories shall pay 40% of the fees.
- Bachelor's students from UGC-recognized private university/college enrolled in this program will be required to pay fee of INR 2,500/- per month for the training period for unreserved category/OBC candidates. Trainees from SC/ST categories shall pay 40% of the fees.
- Fees will be waived for all students applying through the INSA Fellowship or other national or international academic scholarships granted for the specific purpose of financially supporting their degree program.
- Students will be required to pay the fees in one single installment prior to the start of the training program. The requirement for a single installment may be relaxed to allow students with financial constraints.
- Upon successful completion of the program and upon evaluation by the academic committee, THSTI will grant a training completion certificate to the students to fulfill their degree requirements.
- Under the guidance of their supervisors, students may utilize infrastructure, consumables and research facilities at THSTI for the purpose of executing their training. Students will also have full access to the THSTI cafeteria during their stay.
- THSTI will not be responsible for providing access to or funding the use of any facilities not available on campus but which may be required for generating specific results required by the student for inclusion in their dissertation. The student may use and pay for such external facilities at their own discretion.
- Students may avail of THSTI transport facilities on payment of the required charges applicable to THSTI employees.
- Subject to availability of rooms, students may avail/use hostel or Institutional accommodation facility on payment of applicable charges, if unavailable, they will be required to arrange for their stay for the entire duration of the training duration at their own expense.
- The supervisor and THSTI will retain the corresponding authorship/inventor ship with regard to any publications or patents arising out of any intellectual property (research or data) generated by the students during their training at THSTI.
- Students may be granted a leave of no more than 2 days per month.
- Students who are absent for more than 10 days during the course of the training for any reason may be ineligible for receiving a completion certificate. Exceptions to the above point is reviewed and recommended by the Academic Committee on a case-to-case basis.