2021-Till date: M.K Bhan fellow under the mentorship of Dr Bhabatosh Das
2020-2021: Young Professional II (YP II), ICAR-National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources (ICAR-NBFGR), Kerala, India
2014-2020: Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology, Kerala, India
2011-2013: Master of Science (Biotechnology), University of Madras, Tamil Nadu, India
2008-2011: Bachelor of Science (Microbiology), PSGCAS under Bharathiar University, Tamil Nadu, India
- Alternate therapies to curb bacterial infections- Anti-biofilm/anti-virulence strategies
- Drug repurposing-Re-sensitization of Multidrug resistant pathogens to existing antibiotics
Antimicrobial resistance is a global public health problem. Indiscriminate and inappropriate use of antimicrobials has put selection pressure on microbial population leading to the emergence of resistant bugs by way of evolution and genetic jugglery. My research focuses on screening novel compounds (natural and synthetic) for the identification of (i) antibiotic potentiators that can re-sensitize multidrug resistant pathogens to existing antibiotics (ii) anti-biofilm compounds that can be used in combination with antibiotics to increase the antibiotic efficiency and (iii) anti-virulence compounds that can reduce the disease severity.
*Note: Narendrakumar L, Lekshmi N and Lekshmi Narendrakumar is the same person
First Author Publications
- Narendrakumar L, Suryaletha K, Reghunathan D, Prasannakumar M, Thomas S. 2017. Insights into the draft genome sequence of a Haitian variant Vibrio cholerae strain isolated from a clinical setting in Kerala, South India. Genome Announcement 5:e00843-17. doi.org/10.1128/genomeA.00843-17. (IF- NA, ASM Journal)
- Lekshmi. N*,Jose D*, Goel A K, Kumar RA, Thomas S.2017.Development of a novel herbal combination to inhibit biofilm formation in toxigenic Vibrio cholerae. Journal of Food protection. 1933-1940.doi: 10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-17-091. (IF- 2.077) (* Equal first author)
- Lekshmi N, Joseph I, Ramamurthy T, Thomas S.2018.Changing facades of Vibrio cholerae: an enigma in the epidemiology of cholera. Indian Journal of Medical Research.147: 133-141. DOI: 10.4103/ijmr.IJMR_280_17. (IF- 2.375)
- Narendrakumar L, Thomas S. 2018. Vibrio cholerae O1 gaining reduced susceptibility to doxycycline, India. Journal of Global Antimicrobial Resistance. 2018 Jan 31;12:141-142. doi: 10.1016/j.jgar.2018.01.009.(IF- 4.035)
- Narendrakumar L, Gupta SS, Johnson JB, Ramamurthy T, Thomas S. 2019. Molecular adaptations and antibiotic resistance in Vibrio cholerae: a communal challenge. Microbial Drug Resistance. 25(7):1012-1022. http://doi.org/10.1089/mdr.2018.0354. (IF- 3.431)
- Narendrakumar L, Theresa M, Krishnankutty Chandrika S, Thomas S.2019. Tryptanthrin, a potential biofilm inhibitor against toxigenic Vibrio cholerae, modulating the global quorum sensing regulator, LuxO. Biofouling. 35(10):1093-1103doi: 10.1080/08927014.2019.1696315 . (IF- 3.209)
- Lekshmi Narendrakumar, Sivakumar Krishnankutty Chandrika, Sabu Thomas. 2020 Adaptive resistance evolution of V. choleraeto doxycycline associated with spontaneous mutation. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents. 56(3): 106097.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2020.106097.(IF- 5.283)
- Lekshmi Narendrakumar, Vishnu S. Jaikumar, Sivakumar K. Chandrika and Sabu Thomas. Epidemiological and pathogenic characteristics of Haitian variant V. cholerae circulating in India over a decade (2000-2018). Microbial Pathogenesis. 149: 104538. doi.org/10.1016/j.micpath.2020.104538(IF- 3.738)
- Narendrakumar L, Joseph I, Thomas S. 2020. Potential Effectiveness and Adverse Implications of Repurposing Doxycycline in COVID-19 Treatment. Expert Review of Anti-infective Therapy. 24:1-8. doi. 10.1080/14787210.2021.1865803 (IF- 5.091)
- Lekshmi Narendrakumar, Anusha Gopinathan, Sreekrishnan TP, Anisha Asokan, Anil Kumar, Gireesh Kumar, Sabu Thomas. 2021. The bane of coastal marine environment: A fatal case of Vibrio vulnificus associated cellulitis and septicaemia. Indian Journal of Medical Microbiology.39(3): 386-388. (IF- 0.985)
- Lekshmi Narendrakumar*, Medha Chakraborty, Shashi Kumari, Deepjyoti Paul, Bhabatosh Das. 2023. β-Lactam potentiators to re-sensitize resistant pathogens: Discovery, development, clinical use and the way forward. Frontiers in Microbiology. Doi:10.3389/fmicb.2022.1092556 (IF. 6.064) (Corresponding author)
- Suryaletha K, Narendrakumar L, John J, Reghunathan D, Prasannakumar M, Thomas S. 2018. Genomic insights into biofilm-forming Enterococcus faecalis SK460 isolated from a chronic diabetic ulcer patient. Genome Announcement 6:e01463-17. https://doi.org/10.1128/genomeA.01463-17. (IF- NA, ASM Journal)
- Paul M, Narendrakumar L, R Vasanthakumary A, Joseph I, Thomas S. 2019. Genome sequence of a multidrug-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae ST78 with high colistin resistance isolated from a patient in India. Journal of Global Antimicrobial Resistance 17 (2019) 187–188. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgar.2019.04.008. (IF- 4.035)
- Suryaletha K, Narendrakumar L, John J, Radhakrishnan MP, George S, Thomas S. 2019. Decoding the proteomic changes involved in the biofilm formation of Enterococcus faecalis SK460 to elucidate potential biofilm determinants. BMC Microbiology 19:146. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12866-019-1527-2. (IF- 3.605)
- Shashindran N, Narendrakumar L, Udayakumaran S, Vijayakumar DM, Thomas S, Kumar A. First report of Vibrio cholerae O9, novel ST520, isolated from a child with bacteraemia-associated sepsis. Indian Journal of Medical Microbiology 2020; 38: 489-91.(IF- 0.985)
- Aparna Shankar, Devika Jagajeedas, Megha Periyappilly Radhakrishnan, Merin Paul, Lekshmi Narendrakumar, Karthika Suryaletha, Akhila V.S, Sudha B Nair, Sabu Thomas. Elucidation of Health Risks using Metataxonomic and Antibiotic Resistance Profiles of Microbes in Flood Affected Waterbodies, Kerala 2018. 2020. Journal of Flood Risk Management. 2020; e12673. https://doi.org/10.1111/jfr3.12673(IF- 3.884)
- Thangaraj Raja Swaminathan, Sundar Raj N, Lekshmi N, Arathi Dharmaratnam, Neeraj Sood, Pravata Kumar Pradhan, Krupesha Sharma S R,Kuldeep Kumar Lal. 2021. Co-infection of Lactococcus garvieae and Tilapia Lake Virus (TiLV) in Nile tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus (Linnaeus, 1758) cultured in India. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms. 147:127-140. doi.org/10.3354/dao03638 (IF- 1.802).
- Thangaraj Raja Swaminathan, Sundar Raj Nithianantham, Lekshmi Narendrakumar, Tina Kollannoor Johny, Neeraj Sood, Pravata Kumar Pradhan, and Kuldeep Kumar Lal.2021. Cichlids endemic to India are not susceptible to Tilapia Lake virus infection. Aquaculture. 548(1): 737589.doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2021.737589. (IF- 4.242)
- Thangaraj Raja Swaminathan, Sundar Raj N, Lekshmi N, Arathi Dharmaratnam, Neeraj Sood, Pravata Kumar Pradhan, Krupesha Sharma S R,Kuldeep Kumar Lal. 2021. Co-infection of Lactococcus garvieae and Tilapia Lake Virus (TiLV) in Nile tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus (Linnaeus, 1758) cultured in India. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms. 147:127-140. doi.org/10.3354/dao03638 (IF- 1.802)
Arathi Dharmaratnam, Arun Sudhagar, Sweta Das, Reshma rajeev Nair, Sundar Raj Nithianantham, Prasannan Geetha Preena, Narendrakumar Lekshmi, Thangaraj Raja Swaminathan. (2022). Immune gene expression and protective effects in goldfish (Carassius auratus L.) immunized with formalin-inactivated cyprinid herpesvirus-2 (CyHV-2) vaccine. Microbial Pathogenesis. 164: 105452. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micpath.2022.105452 (IF- 3.848)
Gaurav Rathore, Lekshmi.N, T. Raja Swaminathan. 2022. Antimicrobial resistance in aquaculture and fisheries - status and way forward. Indian Journal of Comparative Microbiology Immunology and Infectious Diseases. 43 (1): 58-65. Doi: 10.5958/0974-0147.2022.00008.3
Panwar S, Kumari S, Verma J, Bakshi S, Lekshmi N, Paul D, Das B. (2023) Toxin linked mobile genetic elements in major enteric bacterial pathogens. Gut Microbiome. doi.org/10.1017/gmb.2023.2
Jiffy John, Lekshmi Narendrakumar, Shijulal Nelson Sathi. 2023. Hybrid genome assembly and annotation of multi-drug resistant Staphylococcus aureus genotype ST672-SCCmec type IVd(2B). Journal of Global Antimicrobial Resistance. (Accepted) IF- (4.349)
- Narendrakumar L.,Das B., Paramasivan B., Rasu J., Thomas S. 2018 Quorum Quenching and Biofilm Inhibition: Alternative Imminent Strategies to Control the Disease Cholera. In: Kalia V. (eds) Biotechnological Applications of Quorum Sensing Inhibitors. pp.63-85. Springer, Singaporehttps://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-9026-4_4
- Das B., Paramasivan B., Rasu J.,Narendrakumar L., Thomas S. 2018 Strategies Behind Biosensors for Food and Waterborne Pathogens. In: Kalia V. (eds) Quorum Sensing and its Biotechnological Applications. pp.107-141. Springer, Singapore https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-0848-8
- Karthika S, Lekshmi N, Akhilandeswarre D, Devika Das J, Aparna Shankar, Sabu Thomas. 2020. Evolving state-of-the-art technologies in Biofilm research: from static to real-time models. In: Sabu Thomas and Divya M Prabhakaran (eds) Emerging Concepts in Bacterial Biofilms: Molecular Mechanisms and Control Strategies. pp 319-369.Cambridge publishing group.UK.
- Paul M, Mohan V, Narendrakumar L, Joseph I, Thomas S. 2020. Status Quo of Omics Technologies in Analyzing the Genetic Mediators of Antimicrobial Resistance at Sub-MIC Concentrations. In: Thomas S. (ed) Antimicrobial Resistance: Global Challenges and Future Interventions. Springer, Singapore. pp 207-230. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-15-3658-8_10
- Lekshmi Narendrakumar, Animesh Ray. 2022. Respiratrory tract microbiome and pneumonia. In: Bhabatosh Das and Vijai Singh (eds). Human microbiome in Health and Disease: Part B, Progress in Molecular Biology and Translational Science. Elsevier. Pp 98-124, ISBN: 9780323912105
- Narendrakumar L, Geetha Preena P, Swaminathan T.R. 2023. Antimicrobial Resistance in Ornamental Fisheries: Causes and Preventive Measures. In: Mothadaka, M.P., Vaiyapuri, M., Rao Badireddy, M., Nagarajrao Ravishankar, C., Bhatia, R., Jena, J. (eds) Handbook on Antimicrobial Resistance. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-16-9723-4_9-1
- Vashist, A., Verma, J., Narendrakumar, L., Das, B. 2023. Molecular Insights into Genomic Islands and Evolution of Vibrio cholerae. In: Mani, I., Singh, V., Alzahrani, K.J., Chu, DT. (eds) Microbial Genomic Islands in Adaptation and Pathogenicity. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-19-9342-8_14
Study of the dynamics of mobile genetic elements in ESKAPE pathogens associated with neonatal sepsis and screening of antibiotic resistance breakers for re-sensitization of MDR pathogens
- Best oral presentation at 8th Global Conference on Gender in Aquaculture and Fisheries (GAF8)- Interventions for control of AMR: Harnessing one health knowledge, Cochin, Kerala, India, November 21-22, 2022.
- Best poster award (Day 2) at 16th Asian Conference on Diarroeal Disease and Nutrition (ASCODD-2022), Kolkata, India, November 11-13th, 2022.
- Travel grant to attend 16th Asian Conference on Diarroeal Disease and Nutrition (ASCODD-2022), Kolkata, India, November 11-13th, 2022.
- Received MK BHAN Young Researcher Fellowship (2020-2021)
- First Prize for Poster presentation at the Amrita BIOCREST 2021-International Symposium on Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) Man Vs Microbes Race of the Century organized by Amrita School of Biotechnology, Amritapuri, Kerala, India, February 24-26th, 2021.
- DST-ITS Travel grant received from DST-SERB to attend 8th Biennial International Conference on the Biology of Vibrios (ICBV) organised by McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, November 17th-20th,2019
- Second Prize for Poster presentation at the International Conference on Antibiotic Stewardship and Infectious Diseases organized by Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences in Collaboration with World Health Organization (WHO), India and Imperial College of London, held at Crown Plaza, Kochi, Kerala, October 27th-28th, 2018.
- Wellcome trust travel award to attend Wellcome Genome Campus Advanced Course, Working with pathogen Genomes, Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, Nov- 12th-17th, 2017
- American Society of Microbiology Travel grant to attend 2nd International Conference on Infectious Diseases and Nanomedicine (ICIDN-2015), Kathmandu, Nepal. December 15-18th, 2015.
- Awarded Junior Research Fellowship (Inspire) in 2014 for pursuing Ph.D. by Department of Science and Technology (DST), New Delhi
- First Rank Holder in Academics for the postgraduate program (M.Sc.) in Biotechnology
- Summer Fellowship for Biotechnology (2012) at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Chennai
- First Rank Holder in Academics for the undergraduate program (B.Sc.) in Microbiology, 2011
- First round winner of the Shastra Prathibha Matsaram conducted by the Swadeshi Science Movement
- Best Outgoing student of Class X of Bhavans Vidya Mandir, Girinagar, 2006
- Won prizes in Archery Competitions in the State and District level
- Represented Kerala State for the National level Archery Competition
- Associate Editor, Emerging Concepts in Bacterial Biofilms: Molecular Mechanisms and Control Strategies, In: Sabu Thomas and Divya M Prabhakaran (eds), ISBN: 978-1-5275-4261-7. Cambridge Publishing Group.UK. pp.381
- Associate Editor, Antimicrobial Resistance: Global Challenges and Future Interventions, In: Thomas S. (ed), ISBN: 978-981-15-3658-8. Springer Nature. Singapore. pp.230
- Assistant Editor, Human Microbiome- Clinical implications and therapeutic interventions, In: Thomas S. (ed). Springer Nature. Singapore. pp.264