SENIOR RESEARCH SCIENTIST
- Staff Scientist, Drug Discovery and Structural Biology Core Facility. Beckman Research Institute, City of Hope, Duarte, California, USA.
- Research Associate. Beckman Research Institute, City of Hope, Duarte, California, USA.
- Research Associate. University of Southern California (USC), Keck School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA.
- Ph.D. Institute of Microbial Technology (IMTECH), Chandigarh, India.
Design, engineering and biochemical/biophysical characterization of antigens and antibodies for infectious diseases.
Pubmed search: shubbir ahmed, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=shubbir%20ahmed
- Ahmad N, Dugad S, Chauhan V, Ahmed S, Sharma K, Kachhap S, Zaidi R, Bishai WR, Lamichanne G, Kumar P. (2022). Allosteric cooperation in ß-lactam binding to a non-classical transpeptidase. Elife. e73055.
- Khatri R, Parray HA, Agrahari AK, Rizvi ZA, Kaul R, Raj S, Asthana S, Mani S, Samal S, Awasthi A, Ahmed S*. (2022). Designing and characterization of a SARS-CoV-2 immunogen with receptor binding motif grafted on a protein scaffold: An epitope-focused vaccine approach. Int J Biol Macromol. 209:1359–67.
- Thiruvengadam R, Awasthi A, Medigeshi G, Bhattacharya S, Mani S, Sivasubbu S, Shrivastava T, Samal S, Rathna Murugesan D, Koundinya Desiraju B, Kshetrapal P, Pandey R, Scaria V, Kumar Malik P, Taneja J, Binayke A, Vohra T, Zaheer A, Rathore D, Ahmad Khan N, Shaman H, Ahmed S, Kumar R, Deshpande S, Subramani C, Wadhwa N, Gupta N, Pandey AK, Bhattacharya J, Agrawal A, Vrati S, Bhatnagar S, Garg PK; Department of Biotechnology India Consortium for COVID-19 research. (2022). Effectiveness of ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine against SARS-CoV-2 infection during the delta (B.1.617.2) variant surge in India: a test-negative, case-control study and a mechanistic study of post-vaccination immune responses. Lancet Infect Dis. 22(4):473-82.
- Kumar R, Ahmed S, Parray HA, Das S. (2021). Chikungunya and arthritis: An overview. Travel Med Infect Dis. 44:102168.
- Murugavelu P, Perween R, Shrivastava T, Singh V, Parray HA, Singh S, Chiranjivi AK, Thiruvengadam R, Singh S, Yadav N, Jakhar K, Sonar S, Mani S, Bhattacharyya S, Sharma C, Vishwakarma P, Khatri R, Kumar Panchal A, Das S, Ahmed S, Samal S, Kshetrapal P, Bhatnagar S, Luthra K, Kumar R. (2021).Non-neutralizing SARS CoV-2 directed polyclonal antibodies demonstrate cross-reactivity with the HA glycans of influenza virus.Int Immunopharmacol. 99:108020.
- Parray HA, Shukla S, Perween R, Khatri R, Shrivastava T, Singh V, Murugavelu P, Ahmed S, Samal S, Sharma C, Sinha S, Luthra K, Kumar R. (2021). Inhalation monoclonal antibody therapy: a new way to treat and manage respiratory infections. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 105(16-17):6315-32.
- Yadav N, Vishwakarma P, Khatri R, Siddqui G, Awasthi A, Ahmed S, Samal S. (2021). Comparative Immunogenicity Analysis of Intradermal versus Intramuscular Administration of SARS-CoV-2 RBD Epitope Peptide-based Immunogen In vivo. Microbes Infect. (4-5):104843:
- Kumar R, Deshpande S, Sewall LM, Ozorowski G, Cottrell CA, Lee WL, Holden LG, Richey ST, Chandrawacar A, Dhiman K, Ashish A, Kumar V,Ahmed S, Hingankar N, Kumar N, Murugavel KG, Srikrishnan AK, Sok D, Ward AB, Bhattacharya j. (2021).Elicitation of potent serum neutralizing antibody responses in rabbits by immunization with an HIV-1 clade C trimeric Env derived from an Indian elite neutralizer.PLoS Pathog.17(4): e1008977.
- Vishwakarma P, Yadav N, Rizvi ZA, Khan NA, Chiranjivi A, Mani S, Bansal M, Dwivedi P, Shrivastava T, Kumar R, Awasthi A, Ahmed S*, Samal S. (2021). Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Spike Protein Based Novel Epitopes Induce Potent Immune Responses in vivo and Inhibit Viral Replication in vitro. Front. Immunol. 12:613045.
- Perween R, Ahmed S, Shrivastava T, Parray HA, Singh B, Pindari KS, Sharma C, Shukla S, Sinha S, Panchal AK, Kumar R. (2021). A rapid novel strategy for screening of antibody phage libraries for production, purification, and functional characterization of amber stop codons containing single-chain antibody fragments. Biotechnol Prog. 37(3):e3136.
- Ahmed S*, Shrivastava T, Kumar R, Kumar M, Banerjee M, Kumar N, Bansal M, Das S, Samal S. (2020). Design and characterization of a germ-line targeting soluble, native-like, trimeric HIV-1 Env lacking key glycans from the V1V2-loop. Biochim Biophys Acta Gen Subj. 1865(1):129733.
- Das S, Kumar R, Ahmed S, Parray HA, Samal S. (2020). Efficiently cleaved HIV-1 envelopes: Can they be important for vaccine immunogen development? Ther Adv Vaccines Immunother. 8;8:2515135520957763.
- Samal S, Shrivastava T, Sonkusre P, Rizvi ZA, Kumar R, Ahmed S, Vishwakarma P, Yadav N, Bansal M, Chauhan K, Pokhrel S, Das S, Tambare P, Awasthi A. (2020). Tetramerizing tGCN4 Domain Facilitates Production of Influenza A H1N1 M2e Higher Order Soluble Oligomers that Show Enhanced Immunogenicity In vivo. J Biol Chem.295(42):14352-66.
- Parray HA, Chiranjivi AK, Asthana S, Yadav N, Shrivastava T, Mani S, Sharma C, Vishwakarma P, Das S, Pindari K, Sinha S, Samal S, Ahmed S*, Kumar R*. (2020). Identification of an anti-SARS-CoV-2 receptor binding domain directed human monoclonal antibody from a naïve semi-synthetic library. J Biol Chem. 295(36):12814-21.
- Parray HA, Shukla S, Samal S, Shrivastava T, Ahmed S, Sharma C, Kumar R. (2020). Hybridoma technology a versatile method for isolation of monoclonal antibodies, its applicability across species, limitations, advancement and future perspectives. Int Immunopharmacol. 85:106639.
- Kumar R, Shrivastava T, Samal S, Ahmed S, Ahmad PH (2020). Antibody based therapeutic interventions, possible strategy to counter Chikungunya viral infection. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol.104(8):3209-28.
- Ahmed S*, Shrivastava T, Kumar N, Ozorowski G, Ward AB, Chakrabarti BK* (2017). Stabilization of a soluble, native-like trimeric form of an efficiently cleaved Indian HIV-1 clade C envelope glycoprotein. J Biol Chem. 292(20):8236-43.
- Das S, Boliar S, Samal S, Ahmed S, Shrivastava T, Shukla BN, Goswami S, Bansal M, Chakrabarti BK. (2017) Identification and characterization of a naturally occurring, efficiently cleaved, membrane-bound, clade A HIV-1 Env, suitable for immunogen design, with properties comparable to membrane-bound BG505. Virology510(6):22-8.
- Yan S, Zhang H, Hou G, Ahmed S, Williams JC, Polenova T. (2015) Internal Dynamics of Dynactin's CAP-Gly is Regulated by Microtubules and Plus End Tracking Protein EB1. J Biol Chem. 290(3):1607-22.
- Chandrayan SK, Prakash S, Ahmed S,Guptasarma P. (2014) Hyperthermophile Protein Behavior: Partially-Structured Conformations of Pyrococcus furiosus Rubredoxin Monomers Generated through Forced Cold-Denaturation and Refolding. PLoS One 9(3):e80014.
- Ahmed S,Xie J, Horne D, Williams JC. (2014) Photocleavable Dimerizer for the Rapid Reversal of Molecular Trap Antagonists. J Biol Chem 289(8):4546-52.
- Yan S, Hou G, Schwieters CD, Ahmed S, Williams JC, Polenova T. (2013) Three-Dimensional Structure of CAP-Gly Domain of Mammalian Dynactin Determined by Magic Angle Spinning NMR Spectroscopy: Conformational Plasticity and Interactions with End Binding Protein EB1. J Mol Biol425(22):4249-69.
- Stuchell-Brereton MD, Siglin A, Li J, Moore JK, Ahmed S, Williams JC, Cooper JA. (2011) Functional interaction between dynein light chain and intermediate chain is required for mitotic spindle positioning. Mol Biol Cell 22(15):2690-701.
- Ahmed S, Sun S, Siglin AE, Polenova T, Williams JC. (2010) Disease-associated mutations in the p150Glued subunit destabilize the CAP-gly domain. Biochemistry49(25):5083-5.
- Ahmed S,Guptasarma P.(2008) Design of a soluble mini-protein through tandem duplication of the minimally engineered beta hairpin 'tongue' motif of alpha-hemolysin. Biochimie 90(6):957-67.
- Ahmed S, Shukla A, Guptasarma P. (2008) Folding behavior of a backbone-reversed protein: Reversible polyproline type II to beta-sheet thermal transitions in retro-GroES multimers with GroES-like features.Biochim Biophys Acta.–Proteins and Proteomics 1784(6):916-23.
- Ahmed S, Kapoor D, Singh B, Guptasarma P. (2008) Conformational behavior of polypeptides derived through simultaneous global conservative site-directed mutagenesis of chymotrypsin inhibitor 2. Biochim Biophys Acta.-Proteins and Proteomics1784(5):796-805.
- Kapoor D, Kumar V, Chandrayan SK, Ahmed S,Sharma S, Dutt M, Singh B, Karthikeyan S, Guptasarma P. (2008) Replacement of the active surface of a thermophile protein by that of a homologous mesophile protein through structure-guided 'protein surface grafting. Biochim Biophys Acta.-Proteins and Proteomics 1784(11):1771-6.
- Kapoor D, Kumar S, Ahmed S, Guptasarma P. (2007) Using DNA sequencing electrophoresis compression artifacts as reporters of stable mRNA structures affecting gene expression. Electrophoresis 28(21):3862-7.
- Das U, Hariprasad G, Ethayathulla AS, Manral P, Das TK, Pasha S, Mann A, Ganguli M, Verma AK, Bhat R, Chandrayan SK, Ahmed S, Sharma S, Kaur P, Singh TP, Srinivasan A. (2007) Inhibition of protein aggregation: supramolecular assemblies of arginine hold the key. PLoS One 2(11):e1176.
- Indian provisional patent submitted
Title: SARS-CoV-2 Spike Domain Immunogenic Peptide-based Vaccine Candidates and Uses Thereof. Sweety Samal, Shubbir Ahmed, Rajesh Kumar, Priti Vishwakarma, Naveen Yadav, Adarsh Chiranjivi (Indian Patent Application No.TEMP/E1/31979/2020-DEL)
2. US patent Submitted
Title: Photoclevable Linker. John C. Williams, David Horne, Jun Xie and Shubbir Ahmed. (US Patent Application No. 2014015477)
3. US, EP and India patent approved
Title: A recombinant meso-active thermo-stable protein and the process of design and biosynthesis thereof. Divya Kapoor, Sanjeev Kumar, Shubbir Ahmed, Swati Sharma, Manish Dutt, Balvinder Singh, Karthikeyan Subramanian and Purnananda Guptasarma. (US Patent No. 11/936,009, EP patent No. 2099820, India Patent No. 2411/DEL/2006)
- Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) funded "Multiepitope Nanoparticle-based Broadly Protective Betacoronavirus Candidate Vaccine". For 2022-2026; Role: Co-Principal Investigator.
- BIRAC funded “Translational Research Consortium for Establishing Platform Technologies to Support Prophylactic and Therapeutic Strategies for Dengue Discovery to Proof-of-Concept” under Industry-Academia Collaborative Mission for Accelerating Discovery Research to Early Development For Biopharmaceuticals - “Innovate in India (i3) Empowering biotech entrepreneurs & accelerating inclusive innovation” For 2019-2023. Role: Co-Principal Investigator.
- Department of Biotechnology & Department of Science & Technology funded (under Indo-South Africa joint proposal). Isolation and Characterization of Monoclonal Antibodies from HIV-1 Subtype C Infected Individuals. For 2017-2020. Role: Co-Principal Investigator.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Recipient of full scholarship and travel award to attend ‘HIV Research for Prevention 2018: (HIVR4P) conference held at Spain, Madrid, Oct., 2018
- Recipient for full scholarship and travel award to attend ‘HIV Research for Prevention 2016: (HIVR4P) conference held at Chicago, USA, Oct., 2016
- Bagged 2nd prize for project development in technological entrepreneurship workshop hosted jointly by Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore (IIMB) and CSIR, 2005.2
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research - Senior Research fellowship (CSIR-SRF), Govt. of India, 2004.7 - 2007.7
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research - Junior Research fellowship (CSIR-JRF), Govt. of India, 2002.6-2004.6
- Nominated for CSIR-SPM Fellowship Exam. (top 20% among CSIR-NET qualifier), 2002
- Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering (GATE), 2001.
Ms. Surbhi Mishra